...Radiating the light for others to see.

Lifestyle/Edu.

Case of singles wearing engagement rings


There are two fingers on the left, which are meant for either the engagement or wedding ring. However, these days, women do not care about this. Whether married or not, they just wear rings on these fingers. So why do they do this?

A woman shows off her engagement


At the mention of rings, there are two clear reasons one would wear them, either to make a fashion statement or to show marital status. For those reasons, society has accepted and given respect where it is due especially in instances of a married person.
But in today’s generation, the respect and sentiment attached to engagement and marriage rings is eroding as many single ladies have chosen to put on these rings for reasons yet to be known.

Fashion statement
 
For those who wear both the engagement and wedding rings innocently, it is called making a fashion statement or just like any other jewellery on their body worn to make them look good. A reason I get from the single ladies I find wearing the engagement rings.

Elizabeth Nakiguli who I find at one of the arcades in town wearing a gold engagement ring on her ring finger tells me that for her it is fashion.

“When I saw the ring at the jewellery shop, I fell in love with it so I got it for myself instead of waiting for a man who will take ages to get it for me.”

Just like Elizabeth, Robinnah Najjemba, a 23-year-old graduate, is a ring fanatic. She would wear any ring that she is attracted to and on any finger despite what meaning it carries.

“Rings are my thing, I am not a necklace or ear ring person. They sit on the best part of my body which is my fingers.”

“Be it engagement, marriage or fashion statement rings, I am good to go as long as I find them attractive.”
When asked if she does not honour the respect attached to the engagement and marriage rings, she is quick to say that she is in high regard of the gesture but a ring is just a symbol behind the real meaning so if worn with no commitment attached to it then it is meant for fashion “as simple as that”.

To chase away suitors 
 
Ritah who I see wear an engagement ring all the time since I met her drew my attention when one day I saw her with no ring. I was curious to find out what really made her remove an engagement ring I admired and probably that made me respect her as an engaged woman.

On inquiring, the answer I got was that the ring was her way of chasing away unwanted admirers.
She said that she was fed up of men coming to her with relationship proposals. All she wants to concentrate on now is building her career and healing from the many heartbreaks she has had during her dating days.

When asked if she is not sending away a potential Mr Right she has for long been looking for, Ritah tells me that when the time comes and she is ready for dating again, then her engagement ring will come off.

This trend is common among women as they are the ones often run after or proposed to. But there are a few men who feel the need to chase away bold female admirers and since men do not wear engagement rings, they chase them away with marriage rings.

Alfred in his early 40s is a perfectionist of some sort. He wears a marriage ring on his right figure. At first glance, one would think he has been married for long after all there is a ring mark on his ring finger but to my surprise, he is single and has not been married before.

“I was heartbroken before and it left me in bad shape.

I resorted to looking for someone much better than that person who broke my heart who I haven’t found yet. In due course, I have been getting advances from women who either think I am slow or intimidated so my only refuge was to put on a ring to chase them away.”


He adds, “and for those who seem not to get the message and insist on putting forward their advances, I clearly make up a story of how happily married I am with beautiful children.”

This trend is common among women as they are the ones often run after or proposed to but there are a few men who feel the need to chase away bold female suitors and since a man does not wear an engagement ring, they chase them with marriage rings.

Other reasons

We have seen many older women in their late 50s and 60s wearing both engagement and marriage rings and it is no doubt to everyone that these people are officially married or engaged but with this new fashion trend, this is left in suspense.

Some of these women could be wearing these rings as a way of seeking the prestige that comes with being married officially and there is a ring to show.

Ronah Muwanga a jewelry sales person at Sparkle Jewelry Store, says among the many customers that buy jewelry are a few older women who buy marriage rings not as fashion or to chase away suitors like their young counterparts but to gain respect in society given the attachment this ring comes with.

About Unknown

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.